The best travel period for visiting the Galapagos Islands is not to divide into months, but depends on what you would like to see. For example, in the Galapagos Archipelago there are hot and cold sea currents, which cause different wildlife in different times of the year.
- The warm, wet season; from the end of December to June
- The cool, dry season; end of June to December
Each season has its own advantages and the best time to travel to the Galapagos Islands depends on what you want to see.
The climate of the Galapagos archipelago is dry and temperate and is also classified as subtropical. This makes the islands easy to visit all year round. Generally, the weather on the islands can be divided into two main seasons, the warm wet season and the cool dry season. The weather is also influenced by the water currents that converge around the islands. Each season has its own advantages.
The warm, wet season
- This season runs from the end of December to June
- The average temperature during these months is between 27°C and 32°C
- Not only does the air temperature rise, but the water temperature is also higher. It can rise up to 25°C
- Underwater visibility is very good, ideal for snorkeling and diving
- March and April are generally the wettest seasons
- You can expect the downpours mainly in the afternoon
The colder, dry season
- This season runs from the end of June to December
- The temperature fluctuates around 25°C these months
- The water temperature is about 22°C
- Due to the blooming of the plankton, visibility under water is less, but this is the moment when the whale sharks are present.
- Because of the lower temperatures, this is also the breeding period for many sea and coastal birds.
Would you like to visit the Galapagos Islands yourself and are you curious about the possibilities? Then take a look at the travel itineraries that we have put together for inspiration. You can book these trips directly, but we are also happy to create a personal programme based on your wishes and ideas.
Do you have a question? Feel free to contact us. Call +31 73 610 62 04 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. We are happy to help.